Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mindfulness Meditation for Teachers & Parents

One thing I've struggled with over the years, both as a teacher and as a parent, is having the courage and energy to continue giving to my students.  I could go on and on about this, as I'm sure most of you can, but I'd rather share with you what helps me survive.  

What keeps me from throwing my children out the window is mindfulness meditation.  To me, the practice of mindfulness means being truly present in this moment.  This is especially important when you hear your four-year old say "Stop controlling me!" or your six-year-old purposefully ignores everything you say.  Before I react to their behavior, I try to take a look at what they need at the present moment - lately, they've been screaming for control.  Of course, this doesn't always work.  I'm human, too.  That's why it's important to remember that meditation is a practice;  it takes practice and work.


To be mindful is to be truly alive, present and at one with those around you and with what you are doing. We bring our body and mind into harmony while we wash the dishes, drive the car or take our morning shower. (from http://plumvillage.org/mindfulness-practice/)

HELPFUL SOURCES TO HELP YOU PRACTICE

Meditation Oasis
http://www.meditationoasis.com/

The free Meditation Oasis  podcast has been very helpful.  Their podcasts are guided meditations on a large number of topics.  I've especially enjoyed a podcast on "Deep Rest"  and the "Sleep Meditation for Children" has helped my kids settle down at the end of a long day.


Mindful Meditations
UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center has free meditations for download on itunes.  Find the link to them here.

www.dharma.org

Insight Meditation Society is a retreat center in Massachusetts, but their site has a number of helpful pages including a page of outside resources for how to find meditation retreats, centers, and communities.  Another page is a great reading list of respected authors to learn more about meditation.  Although the IMS instructs from the Buddha's teachings, their focus is more universal.


http://plumvillage.org/mindfulness-practice/


Another retreat center that is a great resource is the Plum Village Community.  It was founded by Zen-Master Thích Nhất Hạnh,  who I have come to admire. 

Thich Nhat Hanh is the author of many books on meditation, including a mindfulness book for working with children that I love:  Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness With Children.  

I am also VERY EXCITED to learn about a book for teachers called Everybody Present.  Find an article written about this book here from Mindful Magazine.


Photo: This is the letter from our retreat panelist Jon Kristian Salunga that touched so many educator hearts. He has graciously agreed to share it with everyone here. Thank you again for your reflections and for seeing us! 

A LETTER* TO TEACHERS: 2013 MINDFULNESS RETREAT FOR EDUCATORS AT BROCK UNIVERSITY, ST. CATHARINES, CANADA

Dear Beloved Educators,

I am writing just to say: I see you.

I see you and recognize the fullness of your life of service, your expertise, your care & hard work, your wakefulness, your sacrifice, your great offerings found day in and day out, in your classroom, lecture hall, office...

I see you here.

I see you here breathing in and out...connecting with this source of innate wisdom, peace and power within ourselves called mindfulness....our inner curriculum....I see you breathing in and out to give birth to be the change, to be the teachers, you wish to see in the world....

I see you here.

Breathing in, I am aware of the daily acts of compassion you contribute to the world through your classroom, all the seen and unseen things you hold, you nurture, you endure, you balance, you tolerate, you skillfully negotiate, to keep open the paths of possibility, promise and potential for all our youth.

Breathing out, I bow deeply to your immeasurable generosity, fortitude and creativity.

Dear Beloved Educators: I see you. I know you are here and I am happy.

Retreating with teachers
to stop and nourish our freedom
to strengthen our aspirations
and grow our capacities to offer an education that awakens ...this is a great happiness!

Dear Beloved Educators: may we be fully present to engage the collective shifts & transformations taking place during this ripe time on our planet, and may we courageously & creatively participate in bringing the Heart back to the Art of Teaching & Learning! May we breathe this new life in ourselves & our work in the most creative, expressive or subtle of ways, in countless places, for the benefit of our students, our communities and the planet.

I offer a lotus to the Bodhisattva Educator in you! -js 

*Feel free to distribute, modify, write your own --- whatever you see fit to pass on & grow the spirit of this letter! _/|\_ Jon Salunga twitter.com/literacytosee

by Molly Hahn of www.buddhadoodles.com

I'll be adding this post to the linky party the teachers over at Blog Hoppin are sponsoring this week.  Please also feel free to leave comments with other helpful sources below. 

Thanks, Rosanna



No comments:

Post a Comment