Monday, November 11, 2013

Blog Hoppin Counter Hints

My friends over at Blog Hoppin are sponsoring a fantastic linky.  You can go and visit it here.



Each day this week, teachers will be posting helpful hints, time-savers, etc.  I love what they have posted so far and I know I'll be checking in all week to see what ideas people share.  Here's my little helpful hint about collecting counters and manipulatives for math activities.

1.  Rob your children.  That's right.  If you are teaching about  transportation and your child has 50 matchbox cars, grab them.  Veterans' Day?  Steal those green plastic army soldiers for a week.



Plastic Dinos Shamelessly Stolen
2.  Visit the party isle of your local Target or Dollar store.  My favorite thing to buy lately are boxes of "Table Scatter" I can find in Target's dollar area.  For $1 you can find seasonal objects that supposedly rational people use to decorate tables at a party.  Most of these look like jewels, which will coax any child to a math center.  Check out the images I found with a google search here.


Leaf-shaped Table Scatter
Scatter Used as Counters to Demonstrate Odd & Even
 3. Finally, go outside.  Some of the best manipulatives I've used have been found on the ground.  Go for a walk and gather acorns.  Have your students search for the most beautiful pebbles they have ever seen.  Have a friend bring back shells from a trip to the beach.

4.  As a last resort, print out pictures.  Find these St. Patrick's Day counters and number cards for FREE at my store on TPT here.   Here is a shameless plug for another product with more seasonal picture counters on TPT:   click here

St. Patrick's Day Counters


No comments:

Post a Comment