Monday, May 6, 2013

Dandelions

On a perfect spring day a little over a week ago, I couldn't help but pull my van over to the side of the road for a better look at some fields of a crop I didn't recognize.  The canola plants were as tall as myself and the view was stunning.  I pulled Pumpkin and Little Dude out of van to go check things out.      They enjoyed the fields for approximately three seconds before they began to pick dandelions.  A part of me was disappointed but it wasn't surprising: the dandelions were plump, rounded, and numerous.



When initially studying about Maria Montessori, I remember her advise to "follow the child," and he will show you what it is that he needs.  When I pay attention to what my children are telling me with their actions and interests, learning naturally occurs.  
I do not claim to be a perfect Montessorian.  I am far from it.  Instead, I am trying to use what I understand of her method to keep my intentions pure and to remain trustful that my children will always guide me should I choose to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment